Tag Archives: Home fire

Azusa: Christmas Tree Sparks Home Fire

Staff Reports

 

Azusa – Unattended candles too close to a dry and brittle Christmas tree – weeks past its prime – set off a house fire in the early morning hours of Tues., Jan. 13.  The home is a total loss and the family is displaced, but they are safe.

 

The Los Angeles County Fire Department (LACoFD) responded to the residential blaze in the 5400 block of Clydebank Avenue at approximately 2:30 a.m.  30 firefighters had the blaze completely under control and snuffed within an hour, but the home was gutted.

 

“We’re now into the second week of the new year, so any Christmas trees still set up inside homes present a serious fire danger,” said L.A. County Fire Chief, Daryl Osby.  “This fire could have been prevented.  This is a terrible way for this family to start the New Year.”

 

LACoFD would like to remind everyone about the importance of removing live Christmas trees from homes before they become dry and brittle.  Also, make sure that your home has a working smoke detector.  70 percent of house fires occur in residences without a working detector.

 

If your tree is still in your home, contact your local waste management company to schedule a curbside pickup.

 

LACoFD invites you to visit their website at www.fire.lacounty.gov to learn how to stay fire safe all year long.