Summer Barbeques: A Cautionary Tale

Staff Reports

Chino Valley – On Wed., Aug. 5, Chino Valley Fire District firefighters responded to a barbeque fire on the 16000 block of Pipeline Avenue in Chino that resulted in minor injuries. Firefighters kept the fire from spreading to the patio and home by isolating it to the cooking station area. CVFD firefighter/paramedics treated a female patient for minor burn injuries.

Summer is a great time for get-togethers and barbeques, and the best way to ensure that your family and guests have a happy and memorable experience, is to exercise caution when using outdoor grills.

The Chino Valley Fire District offers the following guidelines and tips to help keep you safe.

Before Using Your Propane Grill:

  • Check all fuel connection points to confirm they are tight.
  • Check the fuel source hose for any leaks:
    • Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose using a brush or spray bottle.
    • Turn the fuel source on. If there is a leak, the gas will release bubbles around the hose. If there are no bubbles, your grill is safe to use.
    • If there are bubbles, turn off the tank and check connections, then have your grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
    • If the leak doesn’t stop, call the Fire Department immediately.

When Turning On The Grill:

  • Make sure the lid is open when lighting the grill. This will help prevent a possible gas explosion.

When The Grill Is On:

  • If you smell gas while you are cooking, turn off the gas and burners.
  • If the leak stops immediately, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
  • If the smell continues, move away from the grill and call the Fire Department immediately. Do not move the grill.

For more information on fire and life safety, contact the Chino Valley Fire District at (909) 902-5260, or visit their website at