Shooting in Chino Hills Ruled Justified

Staff Reports

SAN BERNARDINO– The fatal officer-involved shooting of Peter John Oien, 47, of Chino Hills, by three San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Deputies on Nov. 18, 2013 was justified Tuesday by the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office.

According to the police report, on Nov. 18, 2013, at approximately 7:52 p.m., Chino Hills Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to a disturbance call at 157 Tern Street, in the city of Chino Hills. The reporting party, (“RP”) advised dispatch that her boyfriend, Peter John Oien was stabbing himself in the chest with a kitchen knife. She also advised that Oien may be high on methamphetamine.

Upon arriving at the location, deputies contacted RP down the street, and she informed them that Oien was last seen inside their bedroom, and was stabbing himself in the chest with a kitchen knife. RP gave the deputies a key to the residence and gave them verbal permission to enter.

Deputies Hendrix, McChristian and Tobar walked to the front door area of the residence and tried to make contact with Oien, who was believed to still be inside the residence. Deputies called out to Oien that they were there to help him, and that fire department and ambulance personnel were at the scene as well. They instructed Oien to drop the knife and come out of the bedroom without any weapons. McChristian looked down the hallway from the living room and saw Oien standing in a bedroom approximately 12 yards away holding a knife in each hand. Oien was covered with blood from his neck down to his waist. Deputies instructed Oien to drop the knives several times, but Oien instead ran at the deputies while holding a knife in each hand. Deputies again ordered Oien to drop the knives, but Oien raised his hands with the knives while still charging at the deputies and closing the distance on them. In fear for their safety and their lives, and for the safety and lives of their fellow deputies, the deputies fired their weapons at Oien as he continued to run toward them. After being struck by the gunfire, Oien fell to the ground and landed near McChristian’s feet.

The crime scene was secured and Oien was transported to Chino Valley Hospital where he was later pronounced deceased.

According to County D.A. officials, the deputies’ use of force was in response to an immediate threat of great bodily injury or death to themselves and their fellow deputies present at the scene.