Fire in Diamond Bar

Photo by Lorraine Perea-Martinez

By Anthony Saude

Diamond Bar – More than 100 firefighters were dispatched to the scene of two brush fires. At about 4:45 am authorities reported that the forward progress of the fire had been stopped.

The fires were started about a half a mile apart early Wednesday morning in Diamond Bar. The fires were reported a little after 2:15 am, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. The two fires converged on the 57 freeway and combined to burn about 15 acres all before nine in the morning. The fires started on the northbound Orange (57 ) Freeway in Brea and quickly spread to the Diamond Bar area.

Resident Lorraine Perea-Martinez said “the 57 freeway northbound was closed from Lambert to Diamond Bar Blvd during my morning commute”. “It took us 20 minutes to go from to get from the 60 fwy to Lambert on the southbound side” said Perea-Martinez. Perea-Martinez also said she heard unconfirmed reports from channel 5 news that the fire was started by a guy throwing flares out his car window”.

A statement released by LA Sheriff’s Department said that arson investigators were sent to the scene after a witness reported, “seeing a man wearing a white scarf around his face, wearing blue jeans and driving a black four door sedan.”

By the time the sun came up, the firefighters of Los Angeles County Fire Department had the blaze about 70% contained and by 9 am the brave men in red had it fully contained.

One of the fires charred 10 acres and the other about five acres. ”No structures were threatened and no injuries were reported. Anyone who may have been in the area of the fires that has any information about the case is asked to call the Los Angeles county Sheriff’s Arson/Explosives detail at 323-881-7500, or Crime Stoppers at (800)222-TIPS.